Whimsical Teacher Tried and True

August 2, 2015 / 14 comments



5th-8th Grade Tried and True  First Day of School Tips!

     I've found that kids in 5th and 6th grade are looking for social connections on their first day back to school.   They are nervous about meeting and making friends and of course they're more in tune to what their peers are wearing and how they are acting.  Every art project or fancy schmancy glue this to that 1st day activity I've tried has flopped with the middle school/upper elem age group, so I developed a back to school pack JUST for the upper elem grades!  My back to school pack focuses on building friendships and making connections during the first week of school.

Here's my tried and true 1st day back pack!
     
 Back to School

Here are some of my favorite activities from the pack!

Activity 1: License Plate Task Cards


    In this activity, I give kids a choice between 12 different license plate task cards.  Each card gives a detailed task that involves decorating a blank license plate.  Kids get really excited drawing their license plates.  I usually cut them out and laminate them and hang them all over the room the 1st week of school.  The license plates tell me a lot of about the kids, and I only have one rule- no white spots! :)


Activity 2: Respect Lesson: flippy flappy book, task cards and cartoon activity.



  In my classroom, I have 4 rules: Respect Yourself, Respect Other People, Respect Your School, and Respect the Materials.  I find that in a middle school classroom, these are the rules that need to be addressed before routines are established.

    Respect is a great topic of conversation because everyone has their own definition of it.  Getting everyone on the same page about respect is a vital part of my 1st day routine.  Last year, I had the kids act out mini respect plays based off my task cards. Example: What should you do if someone keeps bothering you, and they won’t stop even when you try talking to him or her? 


 Activity 3: Student or Family Interviews


   I like having my students interview each other on the first day of school, and then I send them home to interview a parent or family member the first night.  My method is a little crazy (homework on the 1st night?!?), but the interviews speak loads about the kids.  First of all, I can tell on day 2- who is serious about homework/grades.  Also, I can tell a lot about writing skills and family relationships.  I read every word of these interviews with passion, so I can understand quickly who I'm going to be working with this year and how I may best start to help them!

    Thanks for tuning into my 1st linky party AND my tried and true methods.  Also a big thanks goes out to my godson, Nick, who helped evaluate my back to school pack and was my model for this blog post!   Here's the link to my back to school pack if you want to check it out in closer detail:  Upper Grades 1st Day Back Pack!

Please hop along and follow the other fabulous bloggers in this linky party!  


14 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica,
    I love the license plate activity. That's really clever and a great way to get a quick snapshot on each of your students. Cool idea!
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Marion. The license plate is always my favorite.. it looks so cool when you laminate them and hang them all over!

      Delete
  2. I love your blog and the license plate idea! I would love to put those on the backs of student chairs, just like on a car!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really cool idea Retta! I've hung them on the sides of desks before but never on the backs of chairs (since we have to stack them), but that would look sooo adorable!

      Delete
  3. License plate is a super idea. I also like Retta's idea of putting them on the back of chairs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I liked Retta's idea too. I'm sort of obsessed with license plates.. I want to get one from every state and hang them in this one area of my classroom (since we study the 50 states in 5th grade)

      Delete
  4. Your 4 Respect Rules are awesome! So true for middle school students as well as all learners.
    Great share!
    Tricia from "Tricia's Terrific Teaching Trinkets"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to just do 3- respect yourself, others and the school.. but I found with middle schoolers, I had A LOT of problems with them destroying my materials.. so I added it in as a separate category. It's still my biggest gripe with them, they are sooooo rough on everything.

      Delete
  5. Love that you incorporated ideas for the older kids! My husband teaches middle school, and you are right, all of the cutesy stuff just doesn't work! I am passing all of these ideas on to him. I love the license plate and the four rules! Very cool!

    Ashley
    One Step Closer Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley! Every time I try cutesy stuff- it gets easily destroyed! I kind of have a "make it yourself" mentality w/my 5th graders. It's amazing what they come up with...

      Delete
  6. I love the license plate idea! I bet my students would love doing that activity. Great post! Thanks for sharing!

    Sarah
    Education Electrification

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Sarah, and thank you for hosting this fabulous linky party!

      Delete
  7. First of all, your godson is adorable! I was wondering where you got those fab pictures of your products! :-) I really like those license plate task cards! My third graders would enjoy that activity. You should offer that one in your store as an individual set. :-) Thanks for linking up!
    Chrissie
    Undercover Classroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion Chrissie, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe I can send you a free set to proofread when I finish! :)

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top