Direct Sales for Teachers

June 25, 2016 / 1 comment

Lets's face it.

    A lot of teachers have side hustles going because teacher salaries aren't exactly the most lucrative in the world.   So many teachers I know are dabbling in the world of direct sales.   In this world, the teacher sells products from a company to his/her friends using social media and "parties".  The teacher gets a percentage of sales and usually some free products out of the deal.  Popular direct sale companies include Younique, Jamberry, Pampered Chef, Melaluca (I may have spelled that wrong, and my husband would kill me since he used to work there, and it was his *favorite job), Origami Owl, Stella and Dot, LuLaRoe, Avon, Mary Kay, Scentsy, It Works, Beach Body, and well you get the point!    

Dealing with the ads on social media can sometimes be overwhelming to say the very least.  Today I wanted to go on a scavenger hunt to find weirdo direct sales companies that could be of interest to a teacher entrepreneur- who doesn't want to do what all her friends are doing!

OKAY HERE WE GO.



Product Line:  Beauty Supplies: They specialize in all natural scrubs
Cost: $35.00 to enroll and then you buy a "pack" to start
Focus:  Empowering Women of Color

   I read a neat story about a seller from this company teaching her skills to local high-school students.  Since the buy in is low, she was able to start a network of teenage sales people, and her success just exploded from there.  More importantly, she taught these young people how to manage their money and make wise investments.   I love this idea so much!


Product Line:  Underwear
Cost: $99.00
Focus: Boosting Women's Self Esteem in a Safe Environment

    So here's the gimmick with this company:  their underwear is comfortable, long lasting, and it makes you look instantly thinner.  You can imagine what their big selling point is here.  I read a lot of stories online about women making an extra 20k while traveling around to bridal conventions and other types of clothes conventions selling this product.  It's one of those: try it on, and you will buy it type of businesses.  If you feel comfy as a bra peddler, I think it would be cool to look into!



Product Line:  Pink Colored Women's Tools
Cost: $139
Focus: Empowering Women through Skill Building

    I'm not going to lie, the name of this direct sales company made me cringe a little bit.  I started reading about their mission though, and I thought it was really cool.  They encourage their sellers to hold workshops where women can learn basic construction and home improvement skills.  They've also donated 300,000 to breast cancer research.  Also, why shouldn't tools come in more colors?  



Product Line:  Affordable Legal Services
Cost: Around $100
Focus:  Providing Affordable Legal Services to Families and Individuals

    I had to read a lot about this company before adding it to my list.  They've been around for years, but their direct selling branch hasn't done so hot.  Why am I bringing it up then?  Well, I believe there's a new market of teacher entrepreneurs that need legal services!  Teachers don't have tons of money to invest in legal fees, and for under $20/month, they can get the help they need.  I think it's a cool opportunity to use this company to tap into an untapped niche market!



Product Line:  Smelly Waxes
Cost: $99
Focus:  Unlike Scentsy You Can Mix Your Scents Together!

      Remember those little ice cream dots that you can hold in your hand but also eat?  Yes!  I do too.  Unfortunately, you can't eat these little dots, but I think the concept is novel as I would love to be able to mix and match scents!   I use a lot of wax Scentsy bars in my classroom, and sometimes my wall outlet burner isn't big enough for two wax scents (I'm constantly mixing and matching).  Again, this company is a very typical direct sales company.  To make money you need to have LOTS of parties!




Product Line:  Bags, Bags and More Bags
Price: $99
Focus: You're unique, so why not initial it up?!

    I'll never forget the first day of my Management 330 class.  The instructor looked at each of us and he said "the sweetest sound to any human is the sound of his (her) name".  I never really forgot that lesson.  It's so important to use people's names, and this Initials Inc seems like a great company to share the love of individualized services.  I also read that they are doing well financially and they are a real up and coming company in the world of direct sales!


(say what?!)


Product Line: The Yumminess Above
Cost:  Who cares?!   I mean $85.00
Focus: Making Teachers Happy Everywhere!

     Ok, so I saved the best for last!  I am ashamed to say that I had no idea that you could sell the most delicious chocolate in the world out of the comfort of your own home!   You can also make serious money eating this delicious food.  According to the website, an average of one party per week, can make you almost $500.  I'll take that.  I also heard they are very generous sending their hostesses extra food and goodies.  Where do I sign up?!   

I hope you enjoyed this tour of the *lesser known* direct sales.  It reminds me of the lesser known regions in Beetlejuice!   Maybe I need to change my graphic now?!

Have a great weekend!

Love, 

Jess 

1 comment:

  1. Hi!! I just discovered you via e2e!!! I love your pineapples becasue that is a focus in my classroom - "Be a Pineapple!"

    I wanted to share with you another idea for a side hussle for educators. Juice Plus!! Why? Becasue you make money of yourself if you take it! And when you are being healthy - your children can be healthy for free!!! WIN WIN! I have three Tower gardens in my classroom and one at home so I am eating healthy ALL OF THE TIME!!! I have a really cool "Tower Power Teacher Team" and we educate other educators on how to use this amazing STEM/STEAM piece in their classrooms. I can do as much or as little as I want to do, I have no stock, its only $50 a year to be a part of this fantabulous organization and I am amazed at all the perks I've recieved just from sharing a healthy lifestyle! If you're interested in sharing this as one of the side gigs - I'd love to chat!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top