Reading The Phantom Tollbooth as a read aloud in 5th grade

October 11, 2015 / 5 comments

Welcome to our 1st ever What are you reading? linky party for Focused on Fifth!!!

I am currently reading this book:


The Phantom Tollbooth 
by
Norton Juster

If you are a big fan of Roald Dahl books than this novel is for you!!!

     Every year, I do this book as a read aloud, and then I have the kids write their own play for the final "product" of learning!  Every year it is my favorite activity. I learned how to do the project from my ELA teaching professor.  He had us read the book in grad school, and then we went to his house to act out the play!  It was crazy seeing adults act this book out.  (I play the Senses Taker if you're interested- a wacky character who wrote down people's senses (versus census))  hehe!

   The book follows a young boy named Milo who is BORED all the time.  One day he falls down the rabbit hole so to speak, and discovers a tollbooth in his room which then takes him through a dozens of crazy adventures. The Phantom Tollbooth is a lot like Alice in Wonderland and Roald Dahl books BUT... it  is very different in the way that Juster plays with words on every page- especially homonyms throughout the book (the first character you meet is the Whether Man- who appears to maybe be a weather man, but is not!).  

   The book is fun to read allowed and its fast paced nature makes my student's heads SPIN!  Regardless of reading level they are ALWAYS WOWED by this book!  Even my smartest students have to go back and read certain parts to really understand all the little jokes and quips!  I've never had a single student NOT like this book!!   I highly recommend it. It is engaging, unique, heartwarming and heartbreaking all in one fast swoop!

Making it my favorite book for 5th grade.
Please head back to Focused on Fifth and check out the favorite books of my other fifth grade teacher collaborators!!!
Focused on Fifth

5 comments:

  1. Omg Jess I thought I was the only one on the planet that still used this book in the classroom! I used it as a read aloud every year that I taught 5th- love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you have the students act out a play as the final project. :) Super fun and interactive. Love it, Jess.

    Angela
    The Organized Plan Book

    ReplyDelete
  3. That one is fun! My kids, especially, love the wordplay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I just discovered that I have a class set of this book and I plan on starting a read aloud with it this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I just discovered that I have a class set of this book and I plan on starting a read aloud with it this week.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top